Assistant News Director
WLFI-TV is looking for an experienced, aggressive and collaborative-style Assistant News Director to join our team.
WLFI-TV is looking for an experienced, aggressive and collaborative-style Assistant News Director to join
our team. The Assistant News Director must be a proven newsroom leader who knows how to win
breaking news and weather coverage on all platforms, maintain a strong sense of urgency with our
newscast production and newsroom culture, and knows how to balance serious journalism with lighter
moments critical to the success of our newscasts.
The successful candidate must have a drive and passion, with an innovative mind and truly be able to
see the big picture. This position will be responsible for the day-to-day news operation and be involved
in long-term planning of news content across all platforms.
• Assist News Director with supervisory responsibility for all news broadcasts and online content.
• Involved in hiring and performance management of direct reports.
• Assist News Director in the on-going evaluation of personnel.
• Create tactics and strategies to increase ratings performance in key target areas for multiple
• Assist in execution of news content strategy.
• Implement and have working knowledge of federal, state and local laws impacting operations.
• Ability to manage cross platform content creation and distribution.
• Write copy and edit scripts for air and web.
• Knowledge of and proficiency in posting content to station websites.
• Schedule anchors and multi-media journalists.
• Lead coverage planning of major events: elections, other special events.
• Proactively communicate news initiatives & community efforts across departments.
• Evaluate workflow efficiencies.
• Assist News Director in managing the budgetary aspects of newsroom operations
. • Perform other duties as assigned.
Skills and Abilities:
• Advanced oral and written communication skills.
• Advanced computer skills including Microsoft Office.
• Broad understanding of newsroom operations and equipment.
• Proven ability to manage multiple tasks in a fast paced environment.
• Positive reinforcement style of management with the ability to hold staffers accountable while helping
them to grow their skills.
• College degree in related field or equivalent experience preferred.
• At least 5 years producing or reporting experience preferred.
Allen Media Broadcasting is an equal opportunity employer. Allen Media Broadcasting recruits, employs,
trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age,
veteran status, and other legally-protected status.
NOTE: This job description contains basic requirements for the position and is NOT intended to be a
complete list of responsibilities; other duties may be assigned. Job offer contingent on Background
Check and Drug Screen.