WJRT is seeking an experienced Photographer with strong storytelling capabilities.
For more than 60 years, ABC12 has been part of the Mid-Michigan community. Being called a leader in the industry is a responsibility and commitment we take seriously. If you are looking for an opportunity to make a change or challenge your skills, the award-winning team of ABC12 could be the perfect home for you too.
WJRT is seeking an experienced Photographer with strong storytelling capabilities. The Photographer is responsible for shooting and editing video for broadcast each day, communicating with show producers, and news reporters. The Photographer is also required to operate live and broadband equipment to facilitate real-time broadcasts from the field daily.
We are seeking a self-motivated team member that wants to win each day and will do what is needed to succeed. Versatility is a must!
You would be joining a newsroom that is energetic and expatiates breaking news, severe/disruptive weather, and daily investigative reporting. This is a full-time position with numerous benefits including medical, dental, vision, 401k, and accrued paid time off.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Shoot news video that accurately and fairly represents news stories.
- Edit video and audio for broadcast, promos, and teases.
- Demonstrate sound news judgment and ability to tell stories with pictures and natural sound.
- Must be able to utilize non-linear editing equipment daily.
- Properly maintain camera, editing equipment, and station vehicle.
- Communicate with reporters, writers, and producers on video needed for news stories.
- Operate live ENG and Broadband live equipment and related vehicles.
- Keep track of edited news stories for broadcast; maintain archive.
- Respond to breaking news or urgent newsroom situations.
- Collect information by interviewing and taking notes as needed (e.g. news conferences).
- Must demonstrate the drive to grow and learn, as well as offer creativity every day.
- Ability to work well with co-workers and in a professional manner.
- Observe all safety regulations in-house and when in the field.
- Proactive in collaborating story ideas with news team daily.
REQUIREMENTS INCLUDE (but not limited to):
- 2 years previous news photography experience is a requirement with experience lighting shots needed.
- Previous edit experience with Grass Valley edit systems or equivalent required.
- Valid Driver’s License and able to complete the MVR process successfully.
- Capable of gathering information and interviews when necessary; conduct online research.
- Ability to shoot and edit video in sequences that help tell the story for on-air and on-line.
- Knowledge of lighting and use of natural sound.
- Generate story ideas; identify potential stories; create and coordinate interviews; work as a team to develop and ideas.
- Must be able to work well under pressure with limited supervision and daily deadlines.
- Strong initiative and attention to detail is required.
- Ability to remain positive and foster a positive work environment.
- Understanding of and ability to follow and enforce the journalistic code of ethic.
- Must be capable of working well with others in challenging work environments to produce the best product for the viewer.
- Basic working knowledge of social media.
- Must be able to walk for extended periods while carrying equipment, carrying up to 75 pounds.
- A pre-employment drug screening and motor vehicle record check are required. Driving record must be kept in good standing.
- We are looking for self-starting, "hands-on" individual looking for a long-time career opportunity. This is a full-time position offering competitive salaries with a competitive benefit package that includes medical/dental/vision plans as well as a 401k plan.
- This position may require availability to work weekends and may require holiday work. Must be willing and available to travel out of town on assignments if needed.
- Hours, shifts, responsibilities are flexible and are subject to change at the news director's discretion.
- Passing a drug screening and motor vehicle records check are conditions of employment. Must have a reliable source of transportation and be flexible on hours as needed.
- If offered a position, you must produce legally required documentation demonstrating your eligibility to work in the United States before you can begin employment.
WJRT provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, WJRT complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
WJRT expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of WJRT’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.