Digital Content Producer
We’re looking for a smart, innovative digital producer that is ready to challenge the norm and create unique digital content as well as engage our social media platforms to take us to the next level.
For more than 60 years, ABC12 has been part of the Mid-Michigan community. Being called a leader in the industry is a responsibility and commitment we take seriously.
Providing breaking news of the day and keeping our viewers informed before, during and after severe weather is our commitment day in and day out. Reaching beyond the traditional news of the day, ABC12 is humbled to be the media partner for several events throughout the year benefiting the community we call home.
If you are looking for an opportunity to make a change or challenge your skills, the award-winning team of ABC12 could be the perfect home for you too.
We’re looking for a smart, innovative digital producer that is ready to challenge the norm and create unique digital content as well as engage our social media platforms to take us to the next level. And we’re also looking for someone who is a team-player, willing and ready to help others and inspire as well.
The Digital Producer is responsible for writing copy and managing the WJRT digital media platforms. Duties include, but are not limited to, writing news stories under tight deadlines, sending breaking news push alerts, gathering, and creating content for all digital platforms, engaging social media users and working with the news staff to coordinate the station's digital presence. The right candidate is a strong writer with excellent editorial judgment, time management and multi-tasking skills. Knowledge of video and photo editing a plus.
The successful candidate will be responsible for (but not limited to) the following:
- Working quickly to send out breaking news, weather and traffic alerts, including push notifications, social media updates and web stories that are updated as news develops.
- Collaborating with members of the digital team and the newsroom to produce and distribute news content that meets our high standards.
- Posting to our online and social media platforms using digital publishing tools, video editing software and other resources.
- Creating innovative and user-friendly elements for consumption across our platforms, including photo galleries, interactive charts, and other embedded content.
- Attention to detail and willingness to learn new are imperative.
- Additional duties as assigned, including conducting interviews for stories to appear in a digital format or on air.
- Content creation for WJRT’s Digital platforms (Web, OTT, APP, Social Media).
- Manning the digital "hot seat" during assigned hours.
- Ability to field viewer calls, and cold call sources to confirm tips and scanner traffic.
- Writing engaging digital headlines and compelling posts on social media.
- Assisting the news team on implementing digital initiatives.
- Special Projects as assigned.
- Clipping video for website/OTT.
Qualifications and Skill set should include (but not limit to) the following:
- 2-4 years of experience producing digital news and social media content.
- An ability to effectively multitask & prioritize tasks to meet several deadlines in the day.
- BA or BS in Journalism/Communications/English or equivalent background.
- A strong passion for innovative storytelling, newsgathering, and lifelong learning.
- Flexibility with respect to scheduling and/or assigned work shifts.
- Preferred knowledge of ENPS.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Write and post daily on all digital platforms including social media.
- Possess and maintain a valid driver's license with a good driving record.
- Develop story ideas, write, shoot, and edit news stories for on-air broadcasting.
- Write in an exciting, captivating, and authentic manner.
- Operate news gathering vehicle to and from various locations.
- Flexibility to work any shift including nights/weekends.
- Ability to work under extreme deadline pressure and respond to late changes (be fluid).
- Ability to maintain a positive work atmosphere and behaving in a manner that will work well with co-workers, supervisors, and viewers.
- This is a full-time position offering competitive salaries with a competitive benefit package that includes medical/dental/vision plans as well as a 401k plan.
- Pre-employment and random drug testing, successful completion of pre-employment background check, and MVR check are conditions of employment. You must possess a valid driver’s license had have a good driving record.
- If offered a position, you must produce legally required documentation demonstrating your eligibility to work in the United States before you can begin employment.
WJRT provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, WJRT complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
WJRT expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of WJRT’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.Apply Now